The Dancer

December 5, 2010 - 16" x 20" acrylic on canvas (Sold)

I did this painting as a donation to the annual fund raiser/auction for my daughters ballet school, Deane Dance Center.  I've always wanted to paint a dancer, inspired by Edgar Degas.  I've been intimidated when contemplating human subjects, but this may have gotten me beyond that.  I'm very happy with the outcome.

In contrast to my last painting, I used very few paints and almost all earth tones in this painting.  Her skin tones are red oxide, yellow ochre, titanium white and touches of raw umber.  Her dress is  yellow ochre, titanium white and raw umber.  The floor is red oxide, yellow ochre, raw umber and a hint of anthriqinone blue.  The curtain is gold and raw umber.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really nice! Greetings from Finland, Helsinki art scene! -Pasi

Donna H. said...

Beautiful Doug! I love this painting. I'm sure the Deane Dance Center were grateful for this addition to their fund raiser/auction.