Daffodil by the Sea

August 2013 - 16" x 20" Acrylic on Canvas

Output has been VERY slow this year (and updating the blog has been even slower.)


I started this painting in July, while on a business trip to Monterrey, CA.  I'd began considering the possibility of a painting on a painting a while before hand, and had actually been considering something abstract or simply geometric.  But I so enjoyed the view from my hotel room, that I decided to try that.  Of course, I needed something to "hang" the painting on, so added the lattice fence.

As a learning experience, I picked up a lot of tricks in shadowing.  The super dark shadow cast from the daffodil's  "bell" (or corona) was a first, as I usually keep shadows softer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like it, Doug. It looks especially good against the lattice fence. Is the fence part of the painting? If so, I like it better.

Doug Konovaloff said...

Yes, the fence and seascape are all part of the painting.