Carmel Mission

December 2012 - 24" x 30" Acrylic on Canvas

Time to paint has been scarce, and time to blog has been scarcer.  I completed this image late last year, but I didn't get around to photographing it until today.


The image is from a photo I took on our vacation to Monterey Bay in the summer of 2011.  Although the mission is clearly the dominant feature of the piece, the majority of work went into the negative space:  the gardens, the distant trees and the big tree at the left.  The finials around the done also took a lont tine to bring out the shapes without making them unnatural.  There's probably over 100 hours work of effort here, but I really enjoyed the entire process.

Different from most of my work, I did not do a gallery wrap on this, but instead, it's framed.  I will be donating this to the Holy Spirit Parish School auction.

No comments: