Carmel Mission Garden

January 16, 2012 - 16"x20" Acrylic on Canvas (Sold)

Man, it's been a while since I've added anything.  This painting took a lot of time and, with the Holidays, birthdays, etc. I haven't had that much.  It's been pretty exciting at the gallery.  I sold a piece three of the last four evenings I spent there.

This is another in the Monterey/Carmel series.  The image is a small garden in the courtyard of the Carmel Mission, which we visited last July while on vacation.

It's difficult to describe the most difficult part of the painting.  The foliage took hours and the shadows were a challenge, but the most technically challenging task was getting the adobe walls to appear mottled and aged.  I first applied a light tan/pink/peach color I'd mixed to the entire building.  Then I started adding layers of different paints; everything from raw umber and yellow ocher to pthalo blue and sap green.

For the foliage I used virtually every blue in my paint box, mixed with cad yellow and titanium white.

Although it doesn't immediately leap out, don't miss the calla lily in the lower left.

I haven't decided yet, but this may be my donation to the Holy Spirit School auction this year.

No comments: