Hummingbird

July 10, 2011, 9" x 12" Acrylic on Canvas

This painting was mostly completed while watching my studio during the Second Saturday Art Walk while I manned my studio in Midtown Sacramento this past weekend.

The bird itself is obviously where I spend all my time.  I tried to give it a more detailed background, but it just detracted from the bird.  Perhaps, because the subject is obviously blown up several times larger than life, it makes sense the background is just a blurry green.

The "new" thing I tried in this painting was the eye.  Instead of painting on a reflection to give it dimension, I just added a lot of paint - about 6 thick coats of dioxazine purple - until I actually had an eye ball with shape, dimension and its own reflection.

I also used the Golden-brand open acrylic titanium white (blended with pthalo blue and hansa yellow) which gave me a lot of time to work the feathers into the soft layers you see.  It will be in my studio at 2110 K street in Sacramento starting next week.  If you're in the area, so drop on by to see it in person.

No comments: