Şanlıurfa

July 28, 2010 - 16" x 20" acryic on canvas (Sold)
I did this painting for my next door neighbors, Steve and Bill. It's from a photo they took on a trip to Turkey. The location is in Urfa (that is Şanlıurfa to you - Atatürk renamed it as "Urfa of the heroes") - it is in the SE region of Turkey, about an hour north of the border with Syria.

This is the first time I've painted a night scene. I'm especially happy with the way the glow around the lights came out. I used titanium white, water and a stiff bristled brush to great the "glow."

I used pthalo blue, red shade and added a little napthol red and titanium white for the sky; the trees are my standard pthalo blue, green shade and cad yellow; the building is various combinations of dialyride yellow, napthol red, yellow ochre, raw umber and titanium white; the deck is mostly pthalo blue, red shade, with a little dialyride yellow and titamium white.

1 comment:

Bill said...

Doug, the location is in Urfa (that is Şanlıurfa to you - Atatürk renamed it as "Urfa of the heroes") - it is in the SE region of Turkey, about an hour north of the border with Syria. It was a beautiful city with great memories of friends and food and noteworthy monuments. And thanks so much for making it for us, we love it on the dining room wall!