Autumn Country Road

January 10, 2010 - 11" x 14" Acrylic On Canvas


The image is a road in southern Ontario. I love the colors, and the way the road draws you into the scene.

A good friend called and asked if I'd do a painting for a charity auction. I've had this one in my mind for quite some time and was looking for an excuse. This seemed perfect.

I started by blocking the major colors in: the yellow green on the left, the sky, the road, a dark under coat on the right and the mixed trees in the distance. Once I thot that done, I added the tall tree in the foreground and the dark shadows on the road. Next, I got out my number 6 short filbert brush. virtually every tree leaf, the ivy in the right foreground, the leaves on the sides of the road were done with this brush; I darn near wore it out.

I finished by adding the splashes of sun on the roadway.

No comments: